The Friends group was started in 2011 by Peter Clement to create a support group for all aspects of the local railway scene from Colwall to Malvern Link. At present our main concern is the refurbishment of the grade 2 listed Great Malvern Station, due Spring 2022, in which we are collaborating with Network Rail, West Midlands Trains and Malvern Hills District Council conservation department.
The group welcomes new members who are interested in the local railway scene. We meet every two months at the Great Malvern Hotel.
- Great Malvern
- Malvern Link
- Lineside structures. These include signal boxes (two are still working, Malvern Wells and Newlands level crossing) and Malvern Hills tunnel.
- Time line. The history of the local railway and stations from 1850 to the present day can be found at http://www.wychrail.co.uk.
- Photo archives. We have a large collection of photos of the station and locomotives over the last fifty years. Also see: https://malvernrailway.blogspot.com
- Talks. Organisations interested in talks by the group should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Outings. We arrange an annual outing to destinations of railway interest . Our last one before the lockdown was to the Brecon Mountain Railway and in August 2023 we plan to visit Didcot railway centre and museum. (This visit was originally planned for August 2022 but was cancelled).
- Current projects. These mainly involve Great Malvern Station and include:
- Refurbishment of station (Network Rail, scheduled for spring 2022)
- Refurbishment of the worm
- Replacement of Running in Boards
- Lighting project for station
- Repair of floral capitals on station clock, completed February 2021
- Electrification of station clock, completed February 2021
- Volunteers groups. Both Great Malvern Station and Malvern Link have adopter groups who welcome new members. Contact email@example.com for Gt Malvern and Brian Iles at firstname.lastname@example.org for Malvern Link
- Links to other railway groups